PME 811 Blog e-Journal Entry #10 Final Reflections



Over the past few weeks, I have explored and reflected on ways to incorporate Indigenous education and perspectives into the mainstream classroom. 

I would like to go back to my initial inquiry and reflection question and consolidate what I have learned throughout these past few weeks of research and I would also like to add an extension component to my reflection process as noted in the question of Part II below.  

Part I Consolidation of Reflections and New Learning

How can education be re-conceptualized to include Indigenous knowledge and education and how does this new conception promote innovation in teaching and learning?

I believe that a reconceptualization of Canadian curriculum, across all provinces, would need to be explored further in order to move beyond assimilation and towards a decolonized education at the system level.

Through this reflective exploration I have learned about ways to Indigenize the curriculum and classroom. Many of the practices highlighted in the literature are currently in practice within many of our classrooms. Specific pedagogical practices of note are cooperative learning, the creation of rich visual learning spaces, intentional connections of learning to everyday life, and increasing wait time for the processing of new information. 

In reflective post #8 provided a detailed anthology of materials to support the mainstream classroom. The main themes of the Indigenization of the classroom included: The Power of Story, Land/Place Based Learning, Indigenous Games, and the Gift of Elders & Knowledge Keepers in the classroom.

I have come to realize that as a system, we need to reflect upon the overt racism or racism by omission that may exist in our schools. There are many practices we can put into place in schools to be in better alignment with the conceptual framework of our Indigenous relations, but educators can be reluctant to engage for fear judgement or criticism. We must reconcile the idea that there may be extreme differences in western cultural ways of knowing, learning, and behaving which will make it very difficult for Indigenous youth to learn in our system. We must challenge our assumptions, biases, stereotypes and generalizations in order to develop our allyship and move toward integration and reconciliation. I will work to learn more about the implementation of trauma-informed practices and the conditions needed for culturally safe classrooms in order to guide my ability to lead learning with compassion and vulnerability.

Who am I? White Privilege?

In reflective post #2, I explored the idea of Who am I? White Privilege? and shared how discouraging and shameful an experience that was. At the time I was deeply offended, knowing that I too have had my challenges, and how can a person say that to me when all I wanted to do was support? It was discouraging and upon further reflection, I believe that this statement was the impetus for my ongoing commitment and passion to this work. 

I was able to move beyond my misplaced (and maybe even self-absorbed) feelings and to a place of curiosity and understanding. This instance of vulnerability turned into an opportunity for introspection and professional growth.  At this point in my learning and exploration of Indigenous issues I can truly appreciate that ally building is complex process and that it requires non-Indigenous peoples to question the education system as it stands, and to acknowledge their place of privilege in post-colonial society. 

Part II Extension of Learning and New Considerations

How can the education system be used to build settler allies and what are the implications for my own practice?

My allyhood has developed progressively through my professional experiences. Through my own personal experiences as an adult and an educator, I began to learn about and see firsthand the disparities of our Indigenous youth once I started my teaching career in schools. I experienced firsthand the behavioural challenges presented by many our Indigenous learners, but never really attributed it to me, my pedagogy or the Euro-centric curriculum and system that they were forced to endure. Along with my colleagues, we always attributed the problem to be with the child. Everyone believed that they [the Indigenous youth] needed to engage and do exactly what was needed to fit the schooling experience that was being created for all students.

As I continue to reflect upon my professional journey, I can see that I began to develop a deeper understanding of the issues faced by our Indigenous youth once I moved into leadership positions. In my role as a school-based administrator, it became more apparent to me that the changes that needed to happen were those coming from the teachers, school, and system.

These personal understandings were consolidated as I negotiated very difficult conversations between teachers and Indigenous parents from the community. I developed a deeper appreciation for the challenges that they faced and understood that it was our moral imperative to do better for the sake of all children in supporting their right to an exceptional and accessible education. 

Every parent that I had to meet with, under very difficult circumstances, truly wanted what was best for their child and in many ways did not know how to or felt uncomfortable in partnering with the school. I could never understand this dilemma. I would always think to myself, why won’t they come to the school? Why don’t they come to the school events? Etc. 

As I continue to learn through my journey of the long-lasting impacts of the residential school system and the inherent distrust of the public-school system, I am able to better understand the why. The next step for me was to help teachers in understanding the why and to help dispel the pervasive negative thoughts, stereotypes and assumptions.

In my current role of providing leadership to the division's Indigenous student success teachers, I have entered into the next stage of my personal development as an ally. I am learning from my team on a regular basis and can engage in deeper learning, understanding and considerations for appropriate and respectful integration of Indigenous education. I am often concerned about doing or saying the wrong thing, but my ISS team is so supportive and helpful in guiding me along the way. 

I am excited to take all of this new learning to my team this year. I feel that I have become better informed about the ways in which we can approach the Indigenization of the classroom. The integration of these approaches are a definite innovation to teaching and learning. In some ways, the team and I are already on this path, through our divisional service delivery model, but these five weeks of reflection, exploration and research have further consolidated my thinking. I am thrilled to have some many ways to approach this work, and look forward to working with my team to engage in some shared thinking, problem solving and do develop improved products and processes along the way!

This time of reflection has made a significant impact on my professional learning and growth through the summer! 

Thanks everyone!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PME 801 - My Growth So Far...

PME 811 Blog e-Journal: UDL as Innovation Towards Indigenous Education: Entry #5