Facilitating Discussion ~ An "Output #2" Update from my Online FB PLC ~ PME 810 My e-Journal - Entry #15

Facilitating Discussion My "Output" Update from my Online PLC 

So much has happened since I requested access to the Higher Ed Learning Collective. I am pleased that some members have responded to my discussion question:

What do you believe is the purpose of education? Is it to learn subject matter, to develop student cognitive/behaviour skills, or to prepare students for living in an unstable and changing world – personal development in the context of social change?”

For this very large PLC group, the moderator recommends that all participants use appropriate hashtags to help everyone organize our “online learning ideas!”. My hope was to glean an understanding for the orientation of my selected PLC as it connects to curricular conceptions and their beliefs on the purpose of education.  I used #discussion to organize my thread.

The snapshots below illustrate the ongoing discussion that has resulted from my ongoing PLC discussion. It was great to see people engage with my question, and I appreciated the variety of ideas that came forward.



In these responses, I noticed that most participants agreed in the importance of preparing students for living in an unstable and changing world – personal development in the context of social change. This ties back to the curricular conception that is social- reconstructionist. As noted in Ornstein’s article, Curriculum Decisions Based on Philosophy, this community would hold contemporary philosophies of education focused on society where “emphasis [is] on individual growth and development; belief in individual with ability to modify, even reconstruct the social environment; independent and self realizing , fully functioning behaviour; importance of person; full opportunity to develop one’s potential” (Ornstein, A., 1991. P. 107).

The ongoing experience with this discussion is very encouraging as I notice that you can engage in some very thoughtful and engaging discourse related to our work. This group has a number of organizational hashtags including; pedagogy, assessment, inclusive learning, accommodations, mental health, buddy, tips, etc. I am going to work on exploring the pedagogy and inclusive learning hashtags to further connect to my context of practice.

Using my guiding question above, I invited this discussion group to complete a quick google form for some input on their understanding and beliefs of curriculum conceptions. I will the collected data in the next few posts. 

Thanks everyone and I hope you stay tuned…

 Resources:

Ornstein, A. C. (1990/1991). Philosophy as a basis for curriculum decisions. The High School Journal, 74, 102-109.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PME 801 - My Growth So Far...

PME 811 Blog e-Journal: UDL as Innovation Towards Indigenous Education: Entry #5